Laptop keyboards may seem like an accessory that is always on, but you should take time to clean your laptop’s keyboard when necessary. Follow our guide below for How To Disable Laptop Keyboard In Windows And Temporary disabling tips if needed!
After the disabled, you can clean up and replace any key on your keyboard without affecting the operating system. If this is something that interests you, we recommend adding an external portable one so it will be easier for when working with all those pesky codes again!
If you want to permanently disable the keyboard, it will also benefit from being less expensive. This portable type of device is easy for improving typing speed as well as replacing it with another one if needed in the future!
Table of Contents
How to disable the keyboard in window 7
1. Open the start menu and type “control panel” in the search bar
2. Click on “control panel” to open it
3. Click on “keyboard” under hardware and sound
4. Under the keyboard, you will see a tab that says shortcut key settings
5. Under this tab, there should be an option called disable or enable keyboard shortcuts
6. Choose to disable if you want to turn off the keyboard shortcuts for your computer’s operating system
How to disable the keyboard in window 8
1. Open the control panel
2. Click on “Ease of Access”
3. Select “Make it easier to focus on tasks”
4. Scroll down and uncheck the box next to “Turn on Filter Keys”
5. Close out of the window and you should be good!
How to disable the keyboard in window 10
- Firstly open the device manager with the help of the window key, that search the device manager and also click on the device manager that you are looking for.
- Scroll down and you find the keyboard section and also expand the keyboard.
- Right-click on the keyboard and click on the uninstalled device that you want to disable the keyboard
- Now your keyboard is disabled and usually restart is required after disabling the keyboard.
If you are enabling the keyboard, you search ‘device manager’ and right-click on the keyboard again, and enable the keyboard.
Read more: How To Clean My Laptop To Make It Faster
How to Disable laptop keyboard in Linux
Disabling or Enabling the keyboard on Linux laptops is easy with just a few clicks. The steps are outlined below:
- Firstly, you just open the terminal
- After that type the command ”xinput list” and press the Enter
- You see a list of all the input buttons including the laptop keyboard, will appear n the terminal. you need to find AT Translated Set 2 Keyboard and note its ID and number assigned to it.
- Let’s suppose that Id=5 and number assigned to slave keyboard is 3. it disable the keyboard and after that, you just enter the command ”xinput float 5 ”.
5. you need to enable the keyboard again, you just only command the ”xinput reattach 5 3 ”.
so, your keyboard is enabled after the command.
Using the device manager to disable the keyboard
is the easiest and safest method to permanently disable the keyboard of the laptop but not functional on every laptop
- Firstly open the device manager, after that search the device manager, then open the Run dialog box (Win+R) and type the ‘gpedit.msc’. after that click on OK.
- After that expand the keyboard section to see a list of the device.
- Press the right-click standard PS/2 keyboard and click disable the device, if any problem occurred with the option, try to solve the solution.
- After that press with yes. if the keyboard is not working as disabled, then restart the laptop or computer.
Read more: How To Reset Password On Laptop
Disable the keyboard from installing with the group policy editor
if you are not interesting to disable the laptop keyboard, just turn on a device installation restriction by using the built-in local group policy Editor to stop working the keyboard from reinstalling every time your laptop or computer startup.
find the keyboard’s hardware ID, so that you are dealing with only one device. tell the local group policy editor to prevent the window from installing any other software that matches that ID.
The local group policy editor is only available with window pro and window enterprise.
these steps are given below
- press the button of the keyboard that Win+X and after that choose device manager.
- after that expand the keyboard.
- Right-click the standard PS/2 keyboard and select properties after the expand the keyboard.
- press the properties and go to the Details tab and also change the properties drop-down option to Hardware Ids.
- open the Run dialog box (Win+R) and type the ‘gpedit.msc’. after that click on OK.
- under the computer configuration, just navigate to Administration Template >system >device installation > device installation restriction.
- press the right click to prevent the installation of a device that another device’s instance IDs and choose the Edit.
- After the click on edit then enables in the upper left to prevent the installation of a device that matches another device instance IDs window. choose or click Show from the area below it.
- back to where you were in the device manager in step 4. after that Right-click the first entry in the list and select Copy.
- go back to the policy that you opened in the 8th step, double click the space undervalues, and then paste the copies ID into that box by pressing keys (Ctrl+V).
- Click OK on that screen and after OK on the policy screen.
- find out the device again in Device Manager, right-click on it and click Uninstall device.
- Restart the laptop or computer to permanently disable the keyboard of the laptop or computer.
if the keyboard of the laptop or computer still working, repeat the 9th step and 10th with other hardware IDs listed or restart the computer or laptop
These are the steps given below.
- Firstly press the right click on the windows icon on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- After that allow to expand and click on device manager.
- After that click on the keyboard section.
On the screen, you see that there are two types of keyboard drivers.
One is the external keyboard driver (for computers it is termed as HID Keyboard Device).
The second one that your laptop keyboard driver (it is used for the device, it is a Standard PS/2 keyboard).
- Press the right click on the laptop keyboard driver and see the uninstalled section.
- After that click on the Uninstall.
- When you click on uninstall, you see a warning message that has appeared on the screen .click on uninstall.
- After all, then close the device manager window
Restart your device.
How to turn off or disable the keyboard on your MacBook.
Disabling the keyboard on the Macbook is a very easy method and you can do it in a few seconds.
The reason behind disabling the keyboard on Macbook is different from one user to another user.
Usually, we may replace the keyboard with an external source or external keyboard.
Disable keyboard on Macbook using Shortcut Key
This is the easiest method to disable the keyboard that you use only shortcut keys. you only need to press the button Ctrl +F1 on the keyboard of the Macbook.
Press only Ctrl+F1
Disable Keyboard OnMacbook by Using The Third-Party App.
you need to turn off the keyboard on Macbook using Third-Party apps for example Karabiner.
these steps are given below
- firstly you open a browser on Macbook and search the Karabiner-elements.pqrs.org.
- you see the Karabiner download section on screen, download and install the Karabiner app on your Macbook.
- go to the search and search for disable.
- select the section which shows the internal keyboard.
you can use other tools like keyboard clean tool, Lockey, and many others.
Using Apple Scrip on Terminal
this is the easiest method that just entering the apple scrip command on your Macbook terminal, that disable your keyboard and opens the terminal on Macbook and enter the command.
you just enter your Macbook password and it will disable the internal keyboard, to re-enable it and go to the terminal and enter.
that.s it all, you can follow this procedure to disable the keyboard on the Macbook.
Use The Auto Hotkey
Auto hotkey is a free scripting language that is used to automatically repetitive work on window 10. you just need to use it to disable a particular keyboard key on your windows.
Firstly search for the AutoHotkey website and download the Auto hotkey.
These are the steps given below.
- Firstly open a text editor and type the key’s reference name which is followed by:: return (Yes. These are two colons). you just need to search reference name from the above link .you disable the Caps Lock key.
Caps Lock:: return
- After that save this scrip by using the (.ahk extension) in a location where you can easily find out it.
- Double click on this newly created scrip.
This will launch the AutoHotkey script and also these specific keys will be disabled.
The process of uninstalling the keyboard is simple. All you need to do is open up your device manager, find the section for keyboards, and right-click on the one that you want to disable. You will be prompted with a dialog box asking if you are sure about uninstallation. Click yes and all should go smoothly without any issues!